Executive Chef Jason Wilson has created a new dish for summer: Crispy Hama Hama Oysters with Heirloom Tomatoes, Mustard Green Pesto & Grilled Romaine
- 16-20 shucked medium sized Hama Hama Oysters, with the juice form shucking
- 2 heads Romaine lettuce
- 10 leaves basil
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced shallots
- 1 bunch mustard greens, blanched, chopped , wrung dry
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup rice flour
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup good ipa (drink the rest while you cook)
- 1 preserved lemon, all rough chopped
- 4 large Heirloom Tomatoes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Vegetable oil for pan or deep frying
- Verjus or lemon juice to finish
- Remove large leaves of romaine and anything brown to get to a “heart” with ½ the head remaining. Dress with a little extra virgin olive oil and season with salt, grill really quickly or char in a cast iron pan on medium high heat until the inside of the head is brown. Allow at least 10 minutes to cool., cut the core off and remove leaves, reserving for plating.
- Large Dice or chunk the heirloom tomatoes using a serrated knife, toss with salt and black pepper and marinate in a bowl.
- Sweat the garlic and shallots in extra virgin olive oil with salt until translucent and fragrant. Blend the mustard greens with preserved lemon, garlic and shallots until smooth.
- Mix some salt, oyster juice, rice flour, egg whites and beer into a little batter. Dip the oysters into the batter and deep fry or pan fry until crisp and cooked.
- Plate the tomatoes, lettuce, oysters and pesto together as a salad and enjoy!